Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Open Minded October

Happy October Norsemen!

September was a fun and busy month. Homecoming was so special! When I accepted the position I was told how homecoming was a “really big deal”- even with that information I underestimated it! HOW FUN! Newark is
truly blessed to have such a small school and community where we can have school wide games and spend school time having fun with friends. As the junior class sponsor, I had a wonderful time getting to know the students a little
better and learning their strengths as a class!

October will be engulfed with bringing awareness to mental health. Last month I discussed suicide prevention with the students during lunch. This month I will be educating the students on different mental illnesses, causes, and treatment. I am hoping that this information will help reduce the stigma that is so often attached to mental health. I would love for the students to not only understand that severity of mental health, but also grasp the normalcy of mental health. So many of us are impacted by mental health daily, and yet it often goes unrecognized or untreated.

My goal in educating the students about mental health is to reduce the judgment that is often linked with this form of illness and improve their understanding of signs, symptoms, and how they as students can help. I will be providing resources to the students; I encourage you as family members to discuss mental health with your students. I will also challenge you all to do one activity DAILY that will improve your
mental and emotional wellness!

I wish you all a peaceful and happy October. Please do not hesitate to call me with questions or concerns. I am happy to help in any way possible!

Sincerely,
Mrs. Olin, MSW, LSW
School Social Worker
Newark Community High School

“Our minds are like parachutes, they only work when open”

If we remove judgment and harsh opinions, insert curiosity and acceptance. The world would be a happier more content place.